Forget about an apple a day, bananas are the new (not so new) super food! So, recently I’ve given myself a personal challenge to eat at least one banana a day due to all of the health benefits it provides. Here’s some of the amazing benefits of this natural super food:
- Bananas can aid the prevention and reduction of depression due to it’s high levels of tryptophan ( an amino acid) which transfers into serotonin, which makes you happier! Yay!
- Sustains blood sugars
- Enhance your mood and reduce PMS symptoms.
- Bananas are a source of iron – less chance of anemia!
- As bananas are high in potassium and low in salt they are recognized to lower blood pressure and prevent strokes and heart attacks!
- Bananas aid digestion due to their pectin levels.
- Bananas are high in fiber so helps regulate the digestive system ( but if eaten to the extreme can cause diarrhea or constipation).
- Prevent asthma
- Fiber, potassium, vitamin C and B6 all contribute towards a healthy heart therefore preventing cardiovascular disease.
- They provide electrolytes which are lost during diarrhea therefore helping you feel less weak and healthier at a faster pace.
- Bananas can help diabetics maintain stable blood sugars, studies have shown.
- Can help preserve memory.
An average banana contains these vitamins and minerals:
- Vitamin B6 – .5 mg
- Manganese – .3 mg
- Vitamin C – 9 mg
- Potassium – 450 mg
- Dietary Fiber – 3g
- Protein – 1 g
- Magnesium – 34 mg
- Folate – 25.0 mcg
- Riboflavin – .1 mg
- Niacin – .8 mg
- Vitamin A – 81 IU
- Iron – .3 mg
I’ve achieved eating a banana a day so far, and hope to get in 2 a day when I start blending smoothies (when my smoothie maker arrives)!
However, many ask how many is too many due to risk of potassium overdoes etc? Well it is advised by professionals to eat 2 a day, which provides you (along with a well balanced diet) your daily recommended amount of potassium. If you consume too much potassium you can suffer with headaches and fatigue.
Some people believe ‘the more the merrier’, for instance, Freelee the Banana Girl who consumes around 50 bananas a day! Although, a controversial figure, I believe there is method in her madness and as long as she is reaping the rewards of her diet then people shouldn’t judge. She does mention that for her weight and height she would have to eat 300+ bananas in 30 seconds in order to harm herself, which to her own admission she considers impossible. I have been considering the raw vegan lifestyle for quite some time now and Freelee has really turned her life around with it! ( I’ll leave a link to her page at the bottom). I personally won’t be eating anywhere near that many bananas as I feel one a day is enough to be getting on with, in order to lift my mood and reap the rewards the nutrients have to offer. I will update on how this has effected my well being in the future.
Do you agree or disagree with Freelee’s lifestyle? How have your experiences been with the raw vegan diet?
Write to me in the comment section below. If you have liked this blog post please like or share and if you’d like to know more about keeping happy and providing a happy lifestyle please follow my blog! 🙂
Thanks for reading!
If you want to know more about Freelee, this is her YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Freelea
& her website: http://www.30bananasaday.com/